The best costumes are light coloured or bright and reflective.
Keep costumes short to avoid tripping and falling. Minimize the risk of contact with candles or other ignition sources by avoiding baggy pants, loose frills or billowing skirts.
Teach children to STOP, DROP and ROLL should their clothing catch fire: STOP immediately, DROP to the ground and cover face with hands and ROLL over and over to extinguish the flames.
Always carry a flashlight with you as you accompany your children as they 'trick or treat.' Make sure you have a cellphone and that everyone knows to call 9-1-1 in an emergency.
Battery-powered candles, lights or glow sticks are safe to use to light up your carved pumpkins and other decorations. Avoid using real candles as they can start a fire that can ruin your Halloween celebrations.
If you decide to use real candles, they must be kept well away from children and pets or anything that can burn, such as curtains. Blow out all candles before leaving the room. Keep any carved pumpkins lit with real candles away from the front door as children in flowing costumes may brush by them.
Keep any matches, lighters or utility lighters out of sight and reach of children.
Ensure electrical outlets are not overloaded with holiday lighting or special effects.
Test your smoke alarms to make sure they work. In the event a fire starts in your home, you need to know right away.
View the Be Safe and Bright video from the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) below:
Click on the links below to find more information on Halloween safety: